Former Agricultural Economics Faculty
LOWELL S. HARDIN (1917-)
Professor Lowell S. Hardin has achieved an international reputation as a builder of professional talent and institutions. He joined Purdue in 1943, was a distinguished teacher of farm management, and chaired the department from 1953-1965.
In 1965 Professor Hardin launched a "second" career, this one in international agricultural development as senior agriculturist with the Ford Foundation. During his 16 years with the foundation, Hardin became a principal architect of the world-wide system of thirteen international agricultural research centers, one of the significant institutional developments of our time. He rejoined Purdue on a part-time basis in 1981 and was elected Professor Emeritus in 1984.
He has served as secretary-treasurer, vice president and president of the American Agricultural Economics Association by which he was named Fellow in 1977. Also, he has been an active member of the boards of trustees of some seven international non-profit agricultural organizations. B.S., Purdue, 1939; Ph.D., Cornell, 1943.